February 5, 2009

This is American Idol

TV has become as lethal as smoking. At every pediatrician appointment, school newsletter, and parenting handbook speaks of the dangers of watching it. Obviously, the data is stacked against TV, and I completely agree with limits and appropriate choices. Children need to run around, play and explore apart from the flickering lights of TV. Absolutely.

True confession. My kid likes American Idol. Kiddo can't tolerate the truly delusional fame seekers, but loves to get behind the favorite singers and cheer them on to be the next American Idol.

The show has taken on another dimension. Sometimes the best example is the worst example.

Enter bikini-girl. I must admit, I don't remember her name. Actually, I don't remember any of their names thus far. This young woman wore a bikini to her audition. Even my 5 year old knows that swimsuits are appropriate for the beach or the pool, not an audition for American Idol.

We talked about the fact that there are some people who get distracted by a pretty girl and think that her beauty is the only thing that makes her special.

But we know better, don't we? We know that girls can be beautiful and smart and talented and funny. They can compete, knowing that they have the skills to be successful. Right?

Kiddo smiled wide and said, Yeah.

We also learned about being a good team member and what it means to sacrifice to reach a goal. We talked about letting your performance speak for itself, listening to feedback and not defending, explaining or making excuses.

I am trying to teach my kid about moderation; I guess we're learning it together. TV can be a wasteland or it can inspire. But, as with all things in our family, the results are always great when we do things together.

No comments: