November 4, 2008

Walk the Vote

I am a patriot, and today the kiddo and I walked the walk, literally. Together, my 5 year old and I knocked on doors to encourage folks to vote for 4-1/2 hours. Most of our neighbors had already gone to the polls early this morning. I am not surprised because we live in Minnesota, the votingest state in the union.

In our precinct, every identified voter will receive 3 visits reminding her to vote. We were the first wave. Every home received a door tag. If the residents had already been to the polls, the kiddo left a green door tag, indicating that no one need visit them again today. If they were not home, the kid hung a blue door tag. The blue tags on the homes let the afternoon and evening volunteers know to knock again with and neighborly reminder to get to their polling place. We were prepared to inform them where to go to vote or offer a ride if they needed one.

When our work was finished, we voted. I cast my ballot, and the kid got to cast one as well. I am proud to say that in Minnesota, the children have an official ballot with the pictures of the candidates so they could identify their chosen candidate. The kids got to vote for our 3 referendums also.

Every time I vote, truly, every single time, I am filled with such gratitude for the privilege that I cry. The tears typically start flowing as soon as I get in line at the polling place. People have worked tirelessly and even died so that I can stand in line and be heard.

As a stay-at-home mom, I often feel that my voice isn't important because I am not out in the working world, mixing it up, lobbying for my values. I don't bring home the big bucks so there are some people who really don't care what I believe. However, on this day, what I think counts just as much as a billionaire, but not more than someone who is living in more desperate circumstances.

On the other hand, I have 6 hours to devote to my country today. Today, we were heard. We made a difference.

I am a patriot: a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion. I am also a parent. All you have to do is substitute the word "child" for "country," and you've got my job description.

My parents taught me that you must vote. It is your duty as a citizen. I am proud to say that my kid has accompanied me in voting every year of her life.

Thank you to all the patriots with whom we walked today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes We Can!