January 23, 2009

We Give What We Can

President Obama has called us to help others, so today I decided to donate $142 to the city of Minneapolis. I got the idea from a policeman on 42nd Street. He told me that I could make this one time donation to the city and thus avoid an ongoing monthly donation to State Farm.

I trust that the City of Minneapolis will take my money and use it to do something I could never do alone. Perhaps they could reinstate full-day kindergarten for children of middle class families. Or, they could add it to the fund to provide fresh, clean water that does not smell of fish to it's citizens.

I trust that my elected officials will remember that they are our trusted servants and will respond to my donation by asking themselves, "How could we put this money to good use that would provide the maximum benefit to our neighbors?"

What a privilege to be a contributing member of society.

No comments: